Home Modifications

Who are we?

Dubbo Neighbourhood Centre Ltd., also trading as Connecting Community Services is an a Home Modifications provider under the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP), funding by the Australian Government Department of Health.

Connecting Community Services - 02 6883 2300

What is our aim?

We provide modification and maintenance work for older people, and people with disabilities and their carers so they may live more independently and remain in their homes longer. The major emphasis is on access, safety and independence.

What Services do we provide?


Minor Modifications recommended by an Occupational Therapist including:

  • supply and installation of grabrails and handrails
  • supply and installations of hand-held showers
  • access modifications such as ramps, step wedges, easy steps and paths to suit individual needs
  • removal of shower screen/doors - installation of weighted shower curtain
  • lever taps and lever door handles

Who can use this service?

Anyone in Dubbo or the surrounding services areas can access our Home Modifications and Maintenance services. Fees and subsidies available will depending on client circumstances.

  • People aged 65 and over (or 50 and over for those who are Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander) - if registered with My Aged Care on a Commonwealth Home Support Program subsidies are available.
  • NDIS eligible participants who Self-manage funds or have Plan-managed funds may use their NDIS funding for required home modifications. Note NDIA-managed can not use our services.
  • Anyone else requiring home modifications can be quoted fee-for-service.

I have NDIS funding, can I use Connecting Community Services home modifications service?

Yes, if your NDIS funding is Self-managed or Plan-managed. We will talk to you about your home modification needs and can refer you to an occupational therapist to further assess your functional needs, then we will provide you with a written quotation.

Note if your NDIS is NDIA-managed, Connecting Community Services can not do your home modifications. You must use registered providers when your plan is NDIA-managed.

Occupational Therapy

It is important to note that most modification work must be referred by an Occupational Therapist (OT). Occupational Therapists are employed by your local Area Health Service and you may be referral an OT following your My Aged Care Home Support assessment.

What does it cost?

A quote will be provided following a home visit, work will not proceed unless the quotation is approved by the client. Eligible clients may receive a subsidised rate for home modifications and home maintenance, such as clients who are CHSP My Aged Care approved.

What area do we cover?

Connecting Community Services provides Home Modification and Maintenance services in Dubbo and the surrounding areas, including: Dubbo, Ballimore, Brocklehurst, Collie, Curban, Dripstone, Elong Elong, Eumungerie, Gilgandra, Geurie, Mogriguy, Mumbil, Narromine, Stuart Town, Spicers Creek, Tomingley, Tooraweenah, Trangie, Wellington, Wongarbon.

Contact Connecting Community Services:

Click here to Contact Us at the Connecting Community Services Home Modification and Maintenance Service Co-ordinator or telephone the Connecting Community Services on 02 6883 2300 to speak to HMMS coordinator.

Or for more information refer to our brochures below.

Aged Services - Flyer

Aged Services - Client Information and Charter of Rights

HMMS Ramps Brochure

How do I obtain assistance?

An Occupational Therapist (OT) is a health professional who will work with you to assess your home and life goals to determine what changes will make your home more enabling for you.

The method for arranging assessment by an OT will differ depending on how you are funding your home modification.

  • Contact My Aged Care for further information. Tel: 1800 200 422 or visit the My Aged Care website
  • A Public Health OT can be found through your local public hospital, or community health centre. You can also consult your GP for assistance with this. www.healthdirect.gov.au
  • If you are eligible for NDIS services, the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) will organise an OT for you. For more information contact the NDIA. Tel: 1800 800 110 or visit the NDIS website, www.ndis.gov.au

Contact Connecting Community Services on 02 6883 2300

Home Modifications